Welcome to North Idaho

To live in a place other people dream of visiting is incredible. Through the lens of my camera OnLocation North Idaho will bring you a slice of life as we know it in the Idaho panhandle. Enjoy!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Enaville Resort

At the Kingston exit, 43A off of I-90, is the infamous Enaville Resort, known by locals as the Snake Pit. The "resort" part is debatable but it's definitely a destination for visitors to North Idaho. For 125 years the Snake Pit has morphed from a hotel of ill repute and outpost for lumberjacks and miners in the rugged mountains of the Silver Valley to a distinctly unique and unpretentious tourist stop. Their menu includes the "only in the west" Rocky Mountain Oysters...if you have to ask what they are, maybe better not to order them...to authentic buffalo burgers. Behind the glass of the cash register stand youngsters find themselves eye-level to an alligator head, much to their delight. But on a recent visit I found the best view from the elevated and rustic front porch, looking through the tree branch rails at the blooming lilacs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joe, the owner has recently been diagnosed with bone cancer.......he's a great guy and your prayers are appreciated. The Snake Pit is one of those places that you always remember and feel at home each time you are there.

Anonymous said...

The Snake Pit was the favorite hang-out of my closest friends and mine when I worked for the Forest Service in 1971 and 1972. That was before Joe became the owner, which I believe he said was in 1978.

It is great that the place is STILL in business, and I was fortunate enough to get back to the Snake Pit in 2007, after being away from the area for 35 years. I now have been fortunate enough to get back to North Idaho the last three years in a row, and I ALWAYS visit the Snake Pit at least a couple times while I am in the area.

God bless you, Joe. You are in my prayers, and I am hoping for good news about that cancer.

Tom